Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Perfect Cubed Tofu








































Cubed Tofu


This recipe is so simple and versatile, my daughter loves it plain and I love it on salads. Put it in a tortilla with veggies and salsa and call it a burrito. Or, serve it on rice with broccoli. The possibilities are endless…


The trick is to start with the right tofu. I grew up eating tofu, and I have a confession; I don’t like soft tofu, unless it’s for blending to make a dip. For me, the tofu really needs to be firm. West Soy Extra Firm is my favorite. There are a lot of brands out there that say firm, but I’m letting you know that they are not, so this may require a little testing if you are unfamiliar with cooking tofu. If you get a firm block, there is no need to press and drain, and the tofu stays together when cooked.

Ingredients
1 block of firm tofu
soy sauce or tamari
olive or similar oil

1. Rinse tofu, shake it over the sink or use a towel to get off excess moisture

2. Cube tofu into ½ to ¾ inch squares

3. Heat 1 ½ tablespoons of oil  in a 10 inch frying pan (a well seasoned cast iron works good)

4. Add tofu and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or tamari, stir to coat the tofu evenly

5. Let cook for another minute or two

6. Add another tablespoon of soy sauce, stir to coat evenly

7. Taste tofu for saltiness, add more soy sauce if the tofu needs more seasoning. If it’s getting too salty, don’t add any more. I usually add about 2 ½ tablespoons, but every brand varies in saltiness.

8. Continue to cook until the edges are crispy, adding more oil if the pan is dry. Total cooking time is about 10 minutes.


To see more of my work: http://www.smcintyre.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment